Total Pageviews

Thursday 16 February 2012

Before butterflies they were all maggots




We've lost the power to believe that sometimes a really ugly and most disgusting thing can be the beginning of something spectacular. We don't believe in happy endings or happiness anymore. And when we do this, when we stop believing, we begin to grow old. The mermaids in the sky disappear and the rainbows start to fade, slowly being absorbed in the background. Sometimes the mermaids leave my kingdom without any notice and I don’t even realize they’ve left. And when I do, no matter how hard I look, I cannot find them. Although a part of me knows they are not here, I keep on looking, hoping that my luck has changed and I will succeed. 
"They must be hiding around here somewhere!" I say to myself with tears in my eyes. But then I get really sad and start to feel lonely. For days I stay in the library trying to read a very boring adventure novel. Secretly I am hoping that one of the mermaids will come knocking at my window.
"Anytime now, anytime! They will come and we will play again"
 Days go by and the sky is gray. The clouds move really fast barely changing their shape. They seem somehow disappointed too, for the mermaids always caressed and gave them a shape. The most depressing image is the old oak in front of the castle. It has no leaves, not even one! He sits there sad, ashamed and resigned wondering, just like me, if better days will ever come in this kingdom. I cannot help him, for my powers are too weak without their game. I want to hug him and tell him how sorry I am and that I know that he’s the most amazing oak in the whole world.

They say that if something is bound to happen, it will happen anyway. A miracle is like a falling star. You never know if it's an accident or the result of complicated mathematical equations. Every now and then I have the honor to face a miracle. Maybe for you it's not much, one person might not even see it. A little mermaid comes at my window. She's small, not young, for they have no age, red haired, with an emerald colored tail and big blue eyes. She knocks impatiently wiggling her tail and waving her little hands. She tells me to go outside for all the other mermaids came back from their journey with gifts for me. They are waiting above the forest. I must hurry! Later on we will play the mermaid game. We will play today and tomorrow. We will play for ever and I will never be alone again.  As I give her my hand I smile and I understand why there are so many maggots in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment